Saturday, March 29, 2014

Inaugural Trail Ride


                           I don't talk a lot about my horse on this blog.  Actually, I'm not sure that I have mentioned him at all.  My horse is Blue.  He's a Missouri FoxTrotter and I've had him almost 4 years.  I have had horses most of my life and they are an important way for me to relieve stress and relax.  My horse is my activity I do without my husband.  He golfs without me and I ride horses without him.  It's our alone time.  
Today was my first trail ride post ACL repair. It was a beautiful day and my husband was making his lesson plans for next week so I went to the barn. I originally just went to brush out my very furry horse but a few friends were there and were getting ready to ride so I decided to tag along. I like riding with a group especially since my ACL tear last year. It is challenging to get on and off my horse without a mounting block. So for safety reasons over the past year I have only ridden with friends. I'm hoping this year after I can mount and dismount un-aided I can do some solo rides. 
Today however I was thrilled to tag along on their ride. I'm not sure why but the first ride of the year always makes me hope that Blue still will accept me as his rider.  Every year he acts as if we rode last week. He's just as mellow as can be. I, as usual, was sporting my yoga pants and tennis shoes. Way more comfortable than jeans! We rode along the lakeshore talking about how low the water is this year.  

We made a stop along the trail where it's always nice to chat and have a Dove Chocolate before turning around to head home. When we got home I continued to spend another hour trying to brush all the excess hair from Blue. He is just out of control. Hopefully as this year goes on I'll be able to post more from my time on the trails with Blue and my time on the trails with Jon and Winston.  

No comments:

Post a Comment